Admission to the Undergraduate Program

Every student who wishes to pursue a degree offered in the CE department must be formally admitted to the university and to the department. Students entering the university from high school must apply through the Office of Admissions and can be admitted to University College or to the Pre-Engineering program, administered by the individual departments within the School of Engineering. When they have successfully completed the technical courses required for admission consideration, they can apply for admission to the CE department.                               students lab red shirts

The department offers three bachelor’s degrees:  B.S. Civil Engineering, B.S. Construction Engineering, and B.S. Construction Management.

Admission requirements to the department are as follows:

  • Completion of at least 26 credit hours toward the degree and good standing in the university
  • An overall GPA of at least 2.5
  • Completion of at least the 19-25 credit hours of technical courses required in the first year curricula (courses vary by degree program – see below)
  • A GPA of at least 2.75 and grades of C- or better in each of those 19-25 hours
  • Completion of English 110

Transfer students apply through the Office of Admissions and are considered for admission to the department under the same conditions. The Registrar’s Office, in conjunction with the university’s academic departments, evaluates most courses for transfer, while the CE department assesses transcripts to determine possible acceptance of civil engineering courses. Prior to admission, if necessary, students may be required to seek approval for appropriate course equivalencies or core substitutions from the academic departments outside of civil engineering.

Use these forms if you are already a UNM student:

Civil Engineering Admission Application - print and complete
Construction Engineering Admission Application - print and complete
Construction Management Admission Application - print and complete

NOTE: Transfer Students and Non-Degree students should not use the forms above. You must apply through the UNM Admissions Office.

Transfer Students
Non-Degree Students
Freshmen: Apply through the UNM Admissions Office